Industrial Internet Consortium
Collaboration for Interoperability
First Major Cooperation Meeting between Industrial Internet Consortium and Plattform Industrie 4.0 in Chicago: Joint Roadmap
The digitalization of industrial production is an issue which needs to be addressed globally. The Industrial Internet Consortium and Plattform Industrie 4.0 are implementing this in a concrete fashion together.
Within the context of international cooperation, an important milestone is the cooperation between the Industrial Internet Consortium and Plattform Industrie 4.0 which has been running since 02 March 2016. During a joint workshop in Chicago on 19 May 2016, both initiatives moved forward in discussing a joint roadmap in detail.
Joint Road Map
In March 2016, both initiatives already laid a foundation for working on concrete results with a joint road map. Right from the start, the main focus was on the areas of standardization and joint testbeds/test environments.
Current Results from the Chicago Meeting
During the productive meeting in Chicago, both initiatives expand the existing roadmap by adding concrete areas of work:
- Applying a life cycle perspective on products, production systems and IIoT solutions
- Pushing the cooperation on testbeds/test environments in planning to define first show cases from single factory to cross-factory to cross-domain testbeds
- Working on thought leadership and providing guidance in building a common understanding of trustworthiness as a core concept to crucial aspects of security
- Clarifying on how exactly the architecture models IIRA (Industrial Internet Reference Architecture) and RAMI 4.0 (Reference Architecture Model for Industry 4.0) fit together and work on testbeds to perform mappings to understand the relationships between the two frameworks
- Driving requirements for standardization and compatibility on various levels
Follow-up meetings have been scheduled in order to build up on the positive dynamics of the meeting.
Background Information on the Cooperation
Prior to the official announcement of the transatlantic cooperation on 02 March 2016, a number of meetings took place between representatives of both initiatives – the latest such meeting taking place in autumn 2015 in Zurich. The main focus of these exchanges was the interaction between the two architecture models, IIRA and RAMI, in order to ensure future interoperability between the systems. You can find more on the Industrial Internet Consortium here and on Plattform Industrie 4.0 here.
About Industrial Internet Consortium
The Industrial Internet Consortium is the world’s leading organization delivering transformative business value to organizations, industry, and society by accelerating adoption of a trustworthy internet of things. The Industrial Internet Consortium is a program of the Object Management Group (OMG). For more information visit www.iiconsortium.org.